How To Use AI Content Tools like ChatGPT To Plan and Market Your Event
After rapidly pivoting to virtual events during the pandemic and refocusing on in-person engagements last year, event professionals today are doing more with less while nursing whiplash. Luckily, we live in an age where there’s an abundance of technological solutions for doing more every day. In this article, we’re looking at ChatGPT for event organizers.
In this post, we’ll show you how lean events teams can use ChatGPT to improve event strategies and audience experiences to build better business outcomes.
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is an AI-powered chatbot developed by OpenAI that enables users to have text-based conversations with artificial intelligence.
After it was released in November 2022, ChatGPT became instantly popular as people across industries began asking the model to do all kinds of things, like debugging code, writing recipes in foreign languages, and explaining HTML like the reader was a dog.
Tidio, an all-in-one customer service platform, conducted a survey of nearly 1,000 people to understand how people feel about ChatGPT. Here are some of the findings:
A whopping 70% of respondents believe ChatGPT will eventually take over Google as a primary search engine.
- Roughly 78% of internet users have personally tried ChatGPT.
- More than 86% believe that ChatGPT could be used to manipulate and control the population.
- Around 50% of internet users fear ChatGPT might replace them at work.
- 19% of people use ChatGPT to create short-form content like social media posts.
Although ChatGPT is likely the most popular tool of its kind on the market today, it’s not the only one. ChatGPT alternatives exist, including Chatsonic, GPT-3 Playground, and YouChat — all of which, however, are powered by OpenAI’s models. It’s worth exploring all of them to see which you like best.
How To Use ChatGPT for Event Marketing Content
Due to the versatility of ChatGPT, there’s no shortage of ways event marketers can use the tool to work more productively. If you have a content-related task you need to tackle, take it to ChatGPT and see what happens.
1. Event planning and marketing
When you sit down and start thinking about your next event, consider asking ChatGPT for help with event planning and event marketing. At the very least, it’ll increase the chances all your bases are covered — perhaps by reminding you of something that slipped your mind.
To illustrate, we asked ChatGPT:
How can you help me plan and market an event that brings ice cream makers together to discuss the latest industry trends and newest flavor innovations?
ChatGPT offered a pretty comprehensive response:
- Define the purpose and goals of the event: Clearly define the purpose and goals of the event, such as discussing the latest industry trends, showcasing new flavor innovations and providing networking opportunities for ice cream makers.
- Identify the target audience: Identify the target audience for the event, such as small-scale ice cream makers, large-scale ice cream manufacturers, or industry professionals. This will help you to tailor the event to their specific needs and interests.
- Choose a suitable venue and date: Select a venue that is easily accessible and can accommodate the expected number of attendees. Choose a date that is convenient for the majority of the target audience and does not clash with other industry events.
- Invite industry leaders and experts: Invite industry leaders and experts to speak at the event and share their insights on the latest trends and innovations in the ice cream industry.
- Create a marketing plan: Develop a comprehensive marketing plan that includes promoting the event through social media, email campaigns, and traditional advertising methods. Utilize the existing networks of the ice cream industry to reach your target audience.
- Provide hands-on demonstrations and tastings: Offer hands-on demonstrations of new flavor innovations and techniques, as well as tastings of new flavors and products. This will allow attendees to experience and learn about the latest trends in the industry.
- Networking opportunities: Create opportunities for attendees to network and connect with each other, such as a networking reception or industry-specific breakout sessions.
- Follow up with attendees: After the event, be sure to follow up with attendees and gather feedback on their experience. Use this feedback to improve future events and continue to meet the needs of the ice cream industry.
2. ChatGPT for Event Marketing Emails
Now, it’s time to start writing emails to engage attendees and drive registrations. Got writer’s block? ChatGPT is here to help. With your ChatGPT window still open, you can ask follow-up questions on the same subject. We asked ChatGPT:
Can you help me write an event marketing email for this event?
Once again, ChatGPT had a lot to say:
Subject: Join us for the Latest Industry Trends and Flavor Innovations
We are excited to announce the upcoming [Event Name] for the ice cream industry. This event is designed to bring together ice cream makers from all over to discuss the latest industry trends and newest flavor innovations.
The event will take place on [Date] at [Venue]. It will feature keynote speeches from industry leaders and experts, hands-on demonstrations of new flavors and techniques, and opportunities to network with other ice cream makers.
This is a great opportunity to learn about the latest developments in the ice cream industry, make valuable connections, and discover new flavor innovations. Don’t miss out on this chance to take your ice cream business to the next level.
We look forward to seeing you there!
PS: Early bird tickets are available now, so be sure to register soon to take advantage of the special pricing.
You can even ask ChatGPT to write additional emails for your event’s email marketing campaign:
- Can you also write a last-chance to register email?
- Can you also write an early-bird pricing email?
- Now, can you write a thank you for attending email?
- Can you write an email letting attendees know the event’s content is now available on-demand?
3. ChatGPT for Social Media
To make the most out of your event, you must promote it as much as possible. But writing tons of social media posts is time-consuming, and you must focus on the attendee experience, not the details.
By enlisting ChatGPT for help, you can jumpstart the writing process. We asked ChatGPT:
Can you help me write social media posts for this event for Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram?
Never the complainer, ChatGPT responded with the following — with emojis:
- Ice cream lovers unite! Join us at the [Event Name] for the latest industry trends and newest flavor innovations. Register now! #IceCream #Trends #Innovations
- Don’t miss out on the chance to network with other ice cream makers and learn about the latest industry developments at the [Event Name]. Register now! #IceCream #Networking #Innovations
- The [Event Name] is the perfect opportunity for ice cream makers and industry professionals to come together and discuss the latest trends and innovations. Register now to join us! #IceCream #Trends #Innovations
- Looking to grow your ice cream business? Join us at the [Event Name] for keynote speeches, hands-on demonstrations, and networking opportunities. Register now! #IceCream #Networking #Innovations
- Calling all ice cream lovers! The [Event Name] is the perfect opportunity to learn about the latest industry trends and newest flavor innovations. Swipe left to see some sneak peek of the flavors. Register now! #IceCream #Trends #Innovations
- Join us at the [Event Name] for a sweet time! Meet industry leaders, taste new flavors, and discover the latest innovations in the ice cream industry. Register now! #IceCream #Networking #In
Notice how that last hashtag cuts off? Although ChatGPT can undoubtedly help you brainstorm social posts, you will have to fine-tune them to ensure they are accurate, error-free, and in line with your brand and your event theme. You can always include the hashtag with your prompt, so consider changing up your ask with the following:
Can you help me write social media posts for this event for Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram and include the hashtags #IceCreamFest23 and #IceCreamIndustry?
The more specific you are, the better the output will be.
4. ChatGPT for Google and Facebook Ads
Once your social media posts are lined up, you may also have to create display ads for sites like Google and Facebook. This is yet another area where ChatGPT can help you get the ball rolling.
We asked ChatGPT this question:
Can you help me write three different Facebook ads for this event that appeal to three different personas: 1) the C-suite 2) the ice cream flavor innovator and 3) ice cream sales?
ChatGPT came back with this:
Sure, here are examples of three different Facebook ads for the ice cream industry event that appeal to three different personas:
Are you a business leader in the ice cream industry? Don’t miss the chance to network with other industry leaders and learn about the latest developments at the [Event Name]. Join us for keynote speeches, hands-on demonstrations, and opportunities to connect with other professionals. Limited spots available, register now!
2. Ice Cream Flavor Innovator:
Are you an ice cream flavor innovator? Join us at the [Event Name] to learn about the latest industry trends and newest flavor innovations. Meet other industry professionals and discover new techniques to take your ice cream creations to the next level. Register now!
3. Ice Cream Sales:
Are you in the ice cream sales industry? Join us at the [Event Name] to learn about the latest industry trends and newest flavor innovations. Meet other industry professionals and discover new techniques to boost your sales and take your business to the next level. Register now!
These ads are designed to appeal to different personas and to reach different target audiences. It’s important to note that the ad copy should be clear and concise and should include a strong call to action.
Not only did ChatGPT create drafts of ads, it also offered some helpful advice at the end. Remember that character counts vary by social network, so the more information you give ChatGPT, the more turnkey the output will be.
5. ChatGPT for Event Venue Sourcing
Need some help figuring out where to host your next event? Thousands of event venues worldwide shut down during the pandemic while new venues popped up to meet the changing needs of the event community. Instead of combing through Google Maps, Yelp, and listicles, ask ChatGPT for help!
We asked ChatGPT:
We are planning to have this event in Saint Louis. Can you help me find a venue that will accommodate 5,000 ice cream industry professionals in Saint Louis?
And here’s what ChatGPT said:
Sure! There are several venues in Saint Louis that can accommodate a large number of attendees for your ice cream industry event. Here are a few options to consider:
- America’s Center Convention Complex: This complex offers over 600,000 square feet of flexible event space, including several large exhibit halls that can accommodate up to 5,000 attendees. It is located in the heart of downtown Saint Louis and is easily accessible by car or public transportation.
- The Chase Park Plaza: This historic hotel offers over 30,000 square feet of event space, including several ballrooms that can accommodate up to 2,000 attendees. It is located in the Central West End neighborhood of Saint Louis, which offers plenty of dining and entertainment options for attendees.
- The Gateway Center: This modern convention center offers over 200,000 square feet of event space, including a large exhibit hall that can accommodate up to 5,000 attendees. It is located in Collinsville, IL, just across the river from Saint Louis.
- The Missouri Botanical Garden: This beautiful outdoor venue is perfect for a summer event. The garden can accommodate up to 6,500 guests in its outdoor spaces and you can also use its different indoor spaces for meetings, networking and other activities.
- The St. Louis Union Station: This historic venue offers over 500,000 square feet of event space, including several large exhibit halls and ballrooms that can accommodate up to 5,000 attendees. This venue is located in the heart of downtown Saint Louis, and is perfect for events that need a historical touch.
6. ChatGPT for Website Copy
Yet one more thing you must consider with your event is the website content. Never fear, ChatGPT can help you write website content too!
Can you write some website copy for our ice cream industry event? Include an FAQ page, template for speaker bios, and information about the event.
ChatGPT delivered on each item we asked for:
Get ready for a sweet treat! Our annual ice cream industry event is back and better than ever. This year’s theme is “Scooping up Success” and will feature keynote speakers, panel discussions, networking opportunities, and an exhibition of the latest ice cream flavors and industry innovations. Attendees will have the opportunity to taste and learn about the newest trends in the ice cream industry and connect with industry leaders. Don’t miss out on this delicious event!
Q: What should I expect at the event?
A: Attendees can expect keynote speakers, panel discussions, networking opportunities, and an exhibition of the latest ice cream flavors and industry innovations.
Q: Is food provided at the event?
A: Yes, attendees will have the opportunity to taste various ice cream flavors from different brands and vendors.
Q: Is there a dress code?
A: There is no dress code, but we suggest to dress comfortably, as the event will include ice cream tasting.
Q: Are there any discounts for group registration?
A: Yes, please contact us for more information about group registration discounts.
Speaker Bio template:
[Speaker Name] is a [position/title] at [company/organization]. With [number] years of experience in the ice cream industry, [Speaker Name] has a wealth of knowledge and expertise to share. [Speaker Name] has been recognized for [achievements/awards] and is known for [relevant expertise]. [Speaker Name] will be speaking on [topic of speech] and is excited to share their insights and ideas with the audience.
- Date: [event date]
- Time: [event start and end time]
- Location: [event location, including address and parking information]
- Ticket prices: [include information about different ticket options and prices, if applicable]
- Contact information: [include an email address and phone number for attendees to contact with any questions or concerns]
Other Uses for ChatGPT for Event Professionals
ChatGPT’s helpfulness is apparent, and the tool isn’t limited to these five use cases. Here are some additional ways to use ChatGPT and prompts to get started:
- Understanding what kind of people to invite to your event: What kind of personas want to attend a webinar about [Topic]?
- Finding a keynote speaker for your event: Can you suggest some keynote speakers for an event about [Topic]?
- Producing post-event content: Can you write a wrap-up blog article about [Event]?
- Writing speaker scripts: Can you write a speaker script for a keynote speaker whose topic is [Title of Session]?
- Devising an event theme: Can you suggest some event themes for an event about [Topic]?
Here’s an example for that last one:
Using ChatGPT To Analyze Event Data
One last note on questions you may be tempted to ask: Although ChatGPT is pretty powerful, it can’t analyze event data per se. However, the tool can help you figure out what data to analyze to get the most out of your event. We asked:
“Can you analyze event data?”
Here’s what ChatGPT said:
As a language model, I do not have the capability to analyze event data directly. However, I can provide some guidance on how to analyze event data, and what types of information might be useful to gather and analyze.
- Attendance: Number of attendees, RSVPs, and no-shows.
- Feedback: Collect feedback on the event through surveys, interviews or polls.
- Budget: Track expenses and compare them to the budget.
- ROI: Measure the return on investment of the event, such as sales generated or leads captured.
- Engagement: Track how engaged attendees were during the event, such as how much they participated in activities or how long they stayed.
- Social media: Analyze social media engagement and sentiment surrounding the event.
It’s also good to consider what specific goals you wanted to achieve with the event and measure those too.
After gathering the data, you can use it to identify areas for improvement and make more informed decisions about future events.
Well, thank you ChatGPT! You’ve been very helpful.
The Downsides and Challenges of Using ChatGPT
ChatGPT can’t understand the specifics of your event and know your business and priorities better than you and our team do. But you can feed ChatGPT lots of information and guidance about your event for more accurate and on-brand responses. However, it’s not a copy/paste solution to writing content and creating strategy the old-fashioned way
It’s also important to note that ChatGPT was trained in 2021 and therefore doesn’t know anything that happened after that. For example, if you’re sourcing keynote speakers for your event, you may get recommendations for people no longer in those same positions. We asked ChatGPT to recommend keynote speakers for an upcoming event about the ice cream industry, and several of the names it returned were neither tied to the company listed nor currently at the company named.
Even the tool’s creators have been upfront about its limitations. In fact, many of the questions we asked came with excellent starter copy alongside guidance about doing the due diligence to ensure the content is accurate and appropriate for your needs.
You also have to be thoughtful about the grammar and spelling that come out of ChatGPT. If you’re moving fast and want to rely on copy/paste, at the very least we recommend using a companion tool like Grammarly to ensure your event marketing content is the absolute best it can be.
Ultimately, as The Atlantic says, ChatGPT is dumber than you think. Use the tool like a toy — not a tool. Get inspired, but stay skeptical.
How will you use ChatGPT for events?
The best event professionals are always testing new technologies on the market — including AR/VR, AI-powered tools, and the metaverse — to see how they can do more with less while improving their event strategies and putting on increasingly successful events.
This begs the question: How will you use ChatGPT for events? Start playing around with the tool and share what you create with us on social media @Bizzabo. For now, we want to say thanks for reading this article, with a little help from ChatGPT: